Bob Bakko, D.Min, LCPC, CCMHC, PC [custom_button text=”Schedule Now” title=”Schedule Now” url=”http://northwestcounselingcenter.fullslate.com/services/1?services%5B%5D=1&employee=5&brand=Full+Slate&brand_indef=a+Full+Slate&dtz=Mountain+Time+(US+%26+Canada)&brand=Full+Slate&brand_indef=a+Full+Slate” size=”large” bg_color=”#FF5C00″ text_color=”#FFFFFF” align=”right” target=”_self”]
Dr. Bob Bakko LCPC, CCMHC, PC, is an original co-founder of Northwest Counseling Center LLC beginning in 1985 and gratefully continues his independent practice with his colleagues at NWCC. Previous, Bob was with the Department of Psychological & Social Work Services School District #2 in Billings from 1975-84. His current general practice includes counseling with adults, adolescents, couples, specialized group counseling, forensic evaluations for domestic and or sexual violence & comprehensive assessments. Bob specializes in assessing and helping individuals who are struggling and couples going through tough challenges. He works with those who have experienced the darkness of trauma.
Bob has also served as President of the American Mental Health Counselors Association 1998/1999 and State Chapter the Montana Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors Association 1991/1993. He has served on the AMHCA Foundation. He is a Charter Member of the American Association of Christian Counselors.
Bob’s approach to counseling includes both faith based and the general practice of clinical counseling. Bob’s faith based approach to clinical counseling involves the application of theology and biblical understanding with the principles of modern behavioral science. Many have been confused or uninformed about the systematic role scripture, relationship’s and the faith community can have in our spiritual and psychological growth. To quote John Townsend and Henry Cloud (How People Grow 2001 page 9-10)
“We believe that getting to know God more deeply, growing emotionally, and having better relationships are all matters of spiritual growth. God has designed a path of growth that leads us to him and his ways. As we learn and experience that path, we enter his life. This changes our entire existence, encompassing emotions, behavior, relationships, career, and everything else in life… We believe that the Bible and its doctrines teach the truths and principles people need in order to grow… ”
Bob also incorporates insight and process theory, object relation theory, cognitive behavioral theory, problem solving, a touch of existential theory, Gottman Couples Therapy, and anything else that works. Bob believes his many colleagues and friends in the mental health field are dedicated to quality care and works closely with them including licensed clinical professional counselors, licensed clinical social workers, psychologists, psychiatrists, doctors, naturopaths, pastoral counselors, hospitals and inpatient centers. He has advocated appropriate public policy related to mental health.
Credentials & Memberships:
- Dr. Bob Bakko LCPC graduated from Covington Theological Seminary with a Doctorate of Ministry in Counseling, Luther Theological Seminary with a Masters and the University of Montana with a BA in Social Work and Sociology/Criminology.
- Bob is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor and has been practicing faith based and general counseling in Billings, Montana since 1975. He is a Certified Clinical Mental Health Counselor through the National Board of Certified Counselors <http://www.nbcc.org>, Clinically Certified Domestic Violence Counselor through the National Association of Forensic Counselors <http://www.nationalafc.com>, Board Certified Professional Christian Counselor <AACC.com>, and a Clinical Member of the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers <http://www.atsa.com>. Bob is a Charter Member of the American Association for Christian Counselors <http://www.AACC.net>, Clinical Member and Past President of the American Association of Mental Health Counselors <www.amhca.org> and the Montana Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors Association <http://wwwmlcpca.org>.
- Bob is listed as an expert witness with Public Defenders Commission and serves as an expert witness in federal and state courts.
- Bob has contracts with US Probation and Montana Department of Corrections.
Current Personal Update:
Bob has been married to Jan Bakko since September 11, 1976; that’s right a date not soon forgotten. He has two adult children Erika Dickson (Pete) and Kyle (Katie); Erika and Pete have two awesome kiddo’s Eli, age 6 and Greta, age 4; they live in Colorado Springs. Erika has been passionately committed to two organizations: Stop Child Trafficking and Sak Saum a ministry in Cambodia for recovering and healing of minors retrieved from the sex trade. Pete is an executive with T Mobil. Kyle and Katie are in Billings; he works for Riverside Construction Inc. and Katie works for Mawyer General & Cosmetic Dentistry. Being a grandfather is pretty exciting! Jan has been the Director of the Christian Pre-school at the Lutheran Church of the Good Shepherd for many years. She is deeply committed to developmentally correct experiences for pre-school aged kids. Get her talking about this and you may be in for some helpful wisdom. Bob and Jan share their love for their adult kids and grandkids; they hike and put on multiple miles each year summer through winter, Montana is fortunate to have so many beautiful places to hike; they travel to Yellowstone National Park as often as they can in 2010 they made 14 trips, they share the gardening with two large vegetable gardens and several flower gardens, they enjoy hanging out with their friends; Bob likes to fly fish with Kyle and spends two great trips a year with three fishing compodrays Howard Hargrove and Tim Beaton from Colorado and Tom “Duke” Ferro from Billings otherwise all four are known as the “Bob’s”; Bob and Kyle introduced Eli to antelope hunting in 2010 (he’s hooked) and there is always time to enjoy a nice red wine and fine music.
• Lifetime Member and Past President of the American Mental Health Counselors Association
• Lifetime Member and Past President of the Montana Clinical Mental Health Counselors Association
• Governing Council Member (past) American Counseling Association
• National Association of Forensic Counselors
• Association For Treatment of Sexual Abusers
• American Association of Christian Counselors
• National Board of Certified Counselors
• Montana Mental Health Association
• Coalition for Christians in Private Practice